There’s a lot to do at Disney in the Rain including indoor activities at Hollywood Studios! While Rainy days are common at Disney World, and it’s likely it will rain at least once on your trip, a day at Hollywood Studios is still enjoyable with a few changes.
Let’s look at options for Hollywood Studios and what changes you should expect on a rainy day (or day with occasional rain!).
Is it worth going to Hollywood Studios when the forecast calls for Rain?
Hollywood Studios still has some good options to choose from when it rains, but the rain will also close some of the attractions. Thankfully, there isn’t as much flooding in Hollywood Studios, and with several indoor shows and attractions, there’s enough to do a Half Day at Hollywood Studios in the rain.
Will Disney’s Hollywood Studios Close if it Rains?
No, Hollywood Studios doesn’t close, but it does modify the offerings quite a bit! You can expect several Ride and Attraction closures, as well as outdoor Meet and Greets canceled. Transportation options, like the Friendship Boats and Skyliner will also be closed or modified.
Everything you need to know about Disney closures for Rain and Inclement Weather in this post.
This post may contain affiliate links, read my full disclosure here.
Quick Links- Table of Contents
- What You should bring to Hollywood Studios in the Rain
- What Happens when it Rains at Disney’s Hollywood Studios
- What Rides close at Hollywood Studios in the Rain?
- List of Attractions that close in the Rain
- List of Rides that Stay open in the Rain
- Nighttime Shows- Fantasmic in the Rain
- Best places to go in Hollywood Studios when it Rains
- Hollywood Studios ‘Neighbor Park’ EPCOT has lots of Rides too!
What to Bring to Hollywood Studios if it’s going to Rain
There’s a few things you can bring with you, or pick up at Hollywood Studios if you know it’s going to rain.
For example, if you want to bring Rain Jackets and Umbrellas for your family of four, you’ll have a lot of stuff to carry around before/after it rains (as Florida is too hot to wear Rain Jackets without the cooling effects of the rain).
You can get a Locker at the front of the park! Find the lockers at EPCOT on the right side of the Geosphere (the EPCOT Ball) before the Bathrooms.
Wondering what to wear in the Rain? There’s a few items that are guaranteed deal breakers that will send you home early, and some options I wear every time the forecast calls for it. See all the tips inside What to Wear at Disney World in the Rain
Items to bring to EPCOT for a Rainy Day include:
- Ponchos (or you can purchase them inside the parks)
- Rain Jackets (optional, since Ponchos take up less space, they are preferred!)
- Silicone Shoe Covers (ideal for sneakers)
- Crocs, or other quick drying shoes if not using shoe covers
- Umbrella (again, not ideal unless its compact size!)
- Covers for Strollers, Wheelchairs or Mobility Devices
- Waterproof Bags (like a zip plastic baggie) for items that can’t get wet, or leave those items where they can stay dry
- Sweater/Warm Clothes for the colder months of December-March
What happens when it Rains at Disney’s Hollywood Studios?
Turns out, there’s still a LOT to do at Hollywood Studios when it rains! Some of our favorite things to do on rainy days is to grab a coffee, throw on a poncho and check out the shops and the shows!
At Hollywood Studios you’ll find that a few of the Character Greets (and the Characters walking around/the Calvalades) and canceled. Thankfully, many of the Character Greets at Hollywood Studios are inside in covered areas.
Nighttime options will change, and Hollywood Studios is the best park when it comes to communicating cancellations early so you can change plans. Outdoor rides will close and some shows will be modified. (see below for that full list!)
Since Hollywood Studios is normally a ‘hot’ temperature park with all of the concrete and very little shade, spending the day there in rainy weather is comparable (or more enjoyable!) than a sunny day.
What Rides close +options that Stay Open!
For the most part, only one ride will close in the Rain (and it needs to be a good rain, not a light sprinkle as I’ve ridden it in a sprinkle more than once [0/5 recommend])
Rides that close in the Rain:
- Slinky Dog Dash
Other rides may close in Inclement Weather that include Wind and Lighting. These include Alien Swirling Saucers, Tower of Tower and Rise of the Resistance.
Attractions that Close in the Rain:
- First Order Searches for the Resistance
- Green Army Drum Corps
- Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular
- Outdoor Character Meet and Greets
Some of these may stay open in light rain (sprinkling rain), and others may close depending on the weather.
Rides that stay open in the Rain:
These are all subject to Disney’s discretion.
- Alien Swirling Saucers
- Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway
- Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run
- Muppet*Vision 3D
- Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith
- Slinky Dog Dash
- Star Tours – The Adventures Continue
- Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance
- Toy Story Mania!
- The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
Attractions that stay open in the Rain:
- Beauty and the Beast-Live on Stage
- Disney Junior Play and Dance
- Frozen Sing-Along Celebration
- Meet Edma Mode
- Meet Olaf
- Star Wars Launch Bay
Nighttime Shows in the Rain
Hollywood Studios currently has two Nighttime offerings, and arguably the best options beside Magic Kingdom!
In the Main Courtyard, you’ll find The Wonderful World of Animation– an easy to watch (and easy to enjoy!) show filled with Classic Shows and Blockbuster Favorites. Complete with Projections, Mild Fireworks and Special Effects, this show is completely outdoors and can be viewed from many places.
In light rain, its likely that the show will be modified or delayed.
In Heavy Rain, Thunderstorms or Inclement Weather, it’s likely Wonderful World of Animation will be Canceled. A delay is possible if the weather happens early enough to schedule.
Tucked away in the Hollywood Hills Amphitheater at the End of Sunset Blvd (by Tower of Terror), is the famed Fantasmic! Show.
With Live Performers, Incredible Special Effects and Pyrotechnics, Fantasmic is a Night Time Masterpiece.
This show has a high likelihood of being canceled in the Rain for several reasons. These include the safety of live performers and staff, wanting to prevent a ‘run’ of many thousands of people seeking shelter, and the preparations needed for show.
Likewise, Fantasmic will be delayed or modified in Windy Situations. Cancellations should be expected for Thunderstorms, Lightning and Inclement Weather.
Check the MyDisneyExperience App to see more about Cancellations or Delays for Fantasmic at Hollywood Studios. You should expect to know well in advance of the shows starting to make plans for the rest of your night.
Best places to go in Hollywood Studios when it Rains
For a shorter rain, there’s several Shows and Queues that you can dip into for a weather reprieve! Keep in mind that Strollers will need to stay outside, and there is not much coverage for them (Bring a Stroller Cover, or purchase one at the Baby Care Center by First Aid at the Front of the Park)
Table Service options and Character Dining are great options for a Rainy Day! At Disney’s Hollywood Studios, find the Character Dining at Hollywood and Vine. In the morning enjoy Disney Junior Characters, and for Lunch and Dinner hang out with Minnie and Friends in themed dining.
Near Animation Courtyard (the center of Hollywood Studios):
- Disney Junior Play and Dance (not much covered area for the line queue)
- Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway Ride (no height requirement, and options for Wheelchair Transfer at the Ride)
- A Frozen Sing-Along Celebration (around 40 minutes of show time)
- Vacation Short- Original Short with Mickey and Minnie (and it’s short!)
- Star Wars Launch Bay (see a ‘Star Wars’ Museum feature and Meet Characters!)
- Meet Olaf (much of the line queue is covered)
Throughout the Park
- Beauty and the Beast Live on Stage (this is an open back theater, and rain will get in)
- Meet Mickey and Minnie Mouse (part of the queue is outside)
- Lightning McQueen’s Racing Academy (this is short, line isn’t covered and it’s a journey to the back of Sunset Blvd to get here. I don’t recommend unless you are already on this side of the park or wearing ponchos)
- Toy Story Mania Ride (no height requirement, most of the ride queue is inside, line will get long in the rain)
- Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster (most of the queue is covered)
- Muppet Vision 3D show (inside line queue, show is almost 20 minutes)
- Star Wars Ride of the Resistance( ride queue can be partially outside)